Favorite slow cooker/crockpot recipes

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:07 pm

La - I've felt the same when i've done stew in my crock pot - my main complaint is that the sauce doesn't really thicken....and everything tastes the same.....
Race Hard. Race Happy.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:31 pm

I had "round two" of the stew for lunch today. After reducing the liquid by half on the top of the stove, and then returning it to the meat/veg, today's lunch had much more flavour than last night's dinner.

I think the problem was simply that I cooked it too long (8 hours on low). Next time, I'll try to time it better so that I don't cook it any longer than 5 hours.

Question: does everything have to be covered completely with liquid at the start?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:53 pm

La wrote:Question: does everything have to be covered completely with liquid at the start?

Gosh no...... at least not in my crock pot world ;)

I've got beef stew on today. it has about 2 cups of liquid in it but the crock pot is full.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:46 pm

La wrote:
Question: does everything have to be covered completely with liquid at the start?

That may be the problem - crock pot recipes use less liquid than you would normally use. Quite a bit less actually - maybe 1/3 to 1/2 less. You get a lot less evaporating off so you need less to being with. That's why it was better when you reduced it. If you had used less liquid you wouldn't have needed to reduce it.

(I have a yummy chili cooking in my crock as we speak. The house smells delicious!!)

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:55 pm

babysteps is so smart! Of course!

My stew is cooking as we speak - let me say that with my 2+C of liquid, there is also some flour in there to thicken things up.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:55 pm

Today, I am attempting Bolognese sauce. I still had to cook it all on the stove first (otherwise there wouldn't be any caramelization, which is critical for flavour), but once it was all done, I put it in the slow cooker to simmer.

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm trying thistoday. I substituted the chicken for pork tenderloin. It smells yummy hopefully it tastes as good as it smells. Might make Quinoa as a side, if not some rice and veggies.
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

5K Endurance D.D.O. 33:08 Aug.13 2008
PEC team Challenge Leg 3 - Oct.5 2008
Rattle Me Bones 10K 1:06:55 - Oct.26 2008

Double Yellow Headed Amazons http://www.mlaviaries.com

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 am

Mushroom Spinach Lasagna

A slow-cooker lasagna may not be as crisp as a baked one and its noodles may be softer, but its gooey cheese topping is pretty irresistible.

1 tub (500 g) 2% cottage cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (50 mL)
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ tsp grated nutmeg (1 mL)
¼ tsp each salt and pepper (1 mL)
1 pkg (10 oz/300 g) frozen spinach, thawed
12 no-cook lasagna noodles
1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese (250 mL)
TOMATO MUSHROOM SAUCE:
1 tbsp vegetable oil (15 mL)
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups sliced cremini or white button mushrooms (1 L)
2 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning (10 mL)
Pinch hot pepper flakes
1 jar (700 mL) pasta sauce

TOMATO MUSHROOM SAUCE: In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion, carrot, garlic, mushrooms, herb seasoning, and hot pepper flakes until liquid is evaporated, about 8 minutes. Add pasta sauce and 1½ cups (375 mL) water; bring to boil.
Meanwhile, in bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper. In sieve, press moisture out of spinach; chip and add to bowl, stirring to combine.
Pour 1 cup (250 mL) of the sauce into slow-cooker. Arrange 3 of the noodles over sauce. Top with half of the cheese mixture. Cover with 3 noodles and half of the remaining sauce. Repeat with noodles and remaining cheese mixture. Top with remaining noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with provolone. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until bubbly and pasta is tender.

Makes 8 servings. PER SERVING: about 363 cal, 22 g pro, 11 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 44 g carb, 5 g fibre, 41 mg chol, 999 mg sodium. % RDI: 25% calcium, 16% iron, 52% vit A, 18% vit C, 26% folate.

NOTES: I used ½ tub cottage cheese, and replaced the other half with Ricotta. I try and get a four or five cheese jar of pasta sauce. To make life easier, I buy frozen chopped spinach – saves me a step.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:59 am

La wrote:Today, I am attempting Bolognese sauce. I still had to cook it all on the stove first (otherwise there wouldn't be any caramelization, which is critical for flavour), but once it was all done, I put it in the slow cooker to simmer.

Bolognese sauce turned out well, but honestly, since I cooked the whole thing on the stove first, all it really did is simmer for several hours in the slow cooker. I could have done the same thing by putting the pot in a slow oven (though that would have used more energy).

Today, I am attempting ribs. Full report tomorrow.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:17 pm

I made a butter chickpea curry for my lunches. A little mushy but as a bonus I finally got it spicy enough (2 heaping tbsp of green curry paste - who knew?). Next time I won't cook it for so long (6 1/2 hours + 1/2 hour on warm). I put barley in not knowing how long they take to cook. I had also popped in my veggie chick'n breasts and they turned out just right.

Next week veggie stew - I would have made it this week except I don't have any of the fixins. Kind of difficult to make something when you don't have the ingredients :roll:
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:52 am

La wrote:Today, I am attempting ribs. Full report tomorrow.

Yummy, yum yum!!! :drool:

So, cut up a Vidalia (sweet) onion and smashed four cloves of garlic. Cut the ribs into sections of 4-6 ribs (the rack was pretty small). Seasoned with Montreal Steak Spice. Put half the onions/garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker, put in the pieces of ribs, then covered with the rest of the onions/garlic. Mixed about 1/2C BBQ sauce with 1/4C of water and poured that over the whole thing. Put it in the fridge overnight.

Turned it on Low at 7AM. Got home from work at 6PM to yummy, yummy, fall-off-the-bone ribs!!! There was a fair amount of liquid in the pot, which will be awesome once de-fatted.

I'm going to try this with pork roast next time.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:40 am

I did ribs yesterday also...similar method. Onions on the bottom and a little water (maybe 1/2 cup) then brushed the ribs generously with PC chicken and rib sauce. Cooked on low for 8 hours. Brushed the sauce on again shortly before serving...yummy.

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:08 am

KBO wrote:This is a good one that we've made quite a few times. It is really super easy and quite tasty.

Broccoli Rice and Chicken

Ingredients:
2 pounds chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts cut in strips
1 1/4 cups uncooked converted rice
1 package Knorr's Cream of Broccoli Soup Mix
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
pepper, to taste
Preparation:
Place rice in a lightly greased slow cooker/Crock Pot. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Top with chicken pieces. Mix together the soup mix and broth. Pour over chicken and rice. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

I'm making this today. I think my kids might actually eat this. I will mixe in some fresh broccoli and keep my fingers crossed that my kids will eat it. :P

Last night I made Size5's chicken salsa creation. My kids absolutely love it. I sent leftovers to my mom and the rest is in the freezer for another night. Yummy!

holymoly
Bill Crothers

Postby holymoly » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:47 am

La wrote:Bolognese sauce turned out well, but honestly, since I cooked the whole thing on the stove first, all it really did is simmer for several hours in the slow cooker. I could have done the same thing by putting the pot in a slow oven (though that would have used more energy).

Also, if you're like me you don't leave the house when the oven's on, but if the slow cooking is happening in the crockpot instead, you're good to go.
• Marathons: Berlin 2010 & NYC Marathon 2010 & Toronto 2004 • 30Ks: ATB (Hamilton) 2007 & 2016 & 2017 • Half Marathons: Chilly Half (Burlington) 2007 & More (NYC) 2005 & Scotiabank Waterfront (Toronto) 2004 • 8K: Robbie Burns 2006 • 5Ks: ATB 5k 2009 & 2008 & 2006 & 2005, Beaches Spring Fling (Toronto) 2004 • Craziness: Santa Speedo Run (Toronto) 2006 •

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:00 am

Mayhem wrote:
running angel wrote:
running angel wrote:
Size5 wrote:
Take frozen chicken breasts and place in slow cooker with maybe 1/2 Cup warm water and cover with salsa. Cook on high for a couple of hours until chicken can be "shredded". Once the chicken is done, it is ready for any mexican dish of your liking - chicken chili, chicken tacos, chicken burritos - you name it...... just season accordingly.

S5
I put a chicken breast in the slow cooker last night overnight on low with the salsa. I got up this morning and wanted to eat it right then! But I'll have to wait til lunch.
It was definitely yummy!

The whole family liked it. I did the Mini-T version with black beans and corn!

I'm making this right now in my crockpot. Mmmmmmm...can't wait for dinner!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:07 am

a_beacher wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
running angel wrote:
running angel wrote:
Size5 wrote:
Take frozen chicken breasts and place in slow cooker with maybe 1/2 Cup warm water and cover with salsa. Cook on high for a couple of hours until chicken can be "shredded". Once the chicken is done, it is ready for any mexican dish of your liking - chicken chili, chicken tacos, chicken burritos - you name it...... just season accordingly.

S5
I put a chicken breast in the slow cooker last night overnight on low with the salsa. I got up this morning and wanted to eat it right then! But I'll have to wait til lunch.
It was definitely yummy!

To date still my absolute fave slow cooker meal. 8) Always a hit.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:29 am

Robbie1973 sent me this website yesterday: I've glanced at a few -- it could take years to try all these recipes!!

www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/index-5b.html

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Marg wrote:
a_beacher wrote:
Mayhem wrote:
running angel wrote:
running angel wrote:
Size5 wrote:

S5
It was definitely yummy!

To date still my absolute fave slow cooker meal. 8) Always a hit.

I made this today. I was dubious I admit but I have been shown. oh my it was sooo good.

I came home for lunch and put the chicken etc in the crockpot on high and when I came home they were ready!

I fried a mushroom, heated up some corn, put the chicken, grated cheese, the mushroom, the corn in a tortilla and made a quesadilla. Had it with an avocado, salsa and sour cream. Fantastic! 8) :drool: And I have leftovers to freeze up for some more meals.

It's amazing how that salsa makes the chicken taste so nummy.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm making this today:

Turkey Meatballs in Paprika Tomato Sauce

From Every Day with Rachael Ray
March 2009

SERVES 6
Prep Time: 30 min
Slow-Cook Time: 6 hr

Ingredients

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
One 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
One 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
2 tablespoons paprika
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 pounds ground dark meat turkey

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 7 minutes. Transfer 1 1/3 cups of the onion mixture to a large bowl; let cool. Reserve the skillet.
2. Using a food processor, puree the tomatoes and roasted peppers. Add the puree to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the paprika and season with salt and pepper; transfer to a large slow cooker, cover and set to low temperature.
3. Whisk the breadcrumbs, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into the remaining onion mixture. Mix in the turkey. Form 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Add the meatballs to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.

I didn't use the roasted peppers (because I don't like peppers) and I browned the meatballs first and then deglazed the pan with 1/2 c of red wine and then threw that in the tomato sauce. I also grated a carrot into the tomato sauce. I also used a tomato sauce I made last weekend that I didn't really like - it was bland and didn't really taste very good so I froze it and I used that instead of making a new one. So that sauce had oregano and basil in it as well. Hopefully the slow cooking will let the flavours mingle in the sauce and it will be more flavourful.

eta: thumbs up from me. :D

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Re:

Postby Samantha » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Size5 wrote:For ease....... I will often cook chicken in the slow cooker while I'm making dinner. I'll use the chicken on a night when I'm more rushed.

S5

This is in my cooker now! I did this last summer and it's awesome to have the chicken (cooked) frozen in the freezer. It's a really fast meal.

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Re: Favorite slow cooker/crockpot recipes

Postby DonnaRigs » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Does the chicken have to be frozen?
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:27 am

DonnaRigs wrote:Does the chicken have to be frozen?

I've done it both ways Donna. Good either way.

This is one of my all time favourite and likely simplest meals to make.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:45 am

Marg wrote:
DonnaRigs wrote:Does the chicken have to be frozen?

I've done it both ways Donna. Good either way.

This is one of my all time favourite and likely simplest meals to make.

Making it today. :)
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:20 pm

This is great with pork too. Turns out like shredded pork.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”