What is your average speed?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Fuzzuki
Percy Williams

What is your average speed?

Postby Fuzzuki » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:13 pm

I am new to running. I think I am running really slow.
I like to run at 10.5kph. But I cannot sustain that pace.
I must slow down to 10.0.
But this feels like I am running really slow.

What is your average pace?

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Re: What is your average speed?

Postby marymac442 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:33 pm

My average pace would slower than 10kph, I'm always happy if I can manage to run 10k in an hour. When you are first starting out it is more Important to build up your base rather than worrying about speed.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:39 am

The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to others. You should work within your fitness level. That means most of your running should be at an easy, conversational pace, with a few shorter speedier sessions thrown in. Some will be faster, some will be slower. This, and consistency will naturally improve your speed.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:18 pm

purdy65 wrote:The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to others. You should work within your fitness level. That means most of your running should be at an easy, conversational pace, with a few shorter speedier sessions thrown in. Some will be faster, some will be slower. This, and consistency will naturally improve your speed.

+1
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Fuzzuki wrote:What is your average pace?

Mach 0.01

I'll go faster when wearing a race bib but day-to-day running is usually about peace of mind and time on feet.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:03 pm

Jwolf wrote:
purdy65 wrote:The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to others. You should work within your fitness level. That means most of your running should be at an easy, conversational pace, with a few shorter speedier sessions thrown in. Some will be faster, some will be slower. This, and consistency will naturally improve your speed.

+1

+ 2

And the down side/ risk of running too fast to meet some meaningless and arbitrary goal or imagined or real perception of how fast you should be is an injury.

My personal story is qualified to run the Boston Marathon, decided to push even harder to get a personal best at that race and instead ended up with a stress fracture. Was very fortunate just to get the start line. Turns out it was a blessing in disguise as it was a great experience and trip where I got to enjoy Boston itself pre and post race.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:12 pm

I think its fine to compare yourself to others as long as you're comparing yourself to the right people.

As far as average speed goes, that's a different story. How far are we running today, 5k or 30k? What's the goal, endurance or tempo or speed? Are we racing? Hills?

My average speed is anywhere between 3:45/km to 6:30/km depending on why I'm running.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:22 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I think its fine to compare yourself to others as long as you're comparing yourself to the right people.

As far as average speed goes, that's a different story. How far are we running today, 5k or 30k? What's the goal, endurance or tempo or speed? Are we racing? Hills?

My average speed is anywhere between 3:45/km to 6:30/km depending on why I'm running.

You're the wrong person for me to compare myself to!

I run between 6:30/km and 8:00/km.... sooo...!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:48 pm

+3

I think there is a tendency for beginners to focus on how fast they can run when they first start out. I know I did. I think focusing on your strength and endurance first, is far more important. This is especially true if you want to stay running for a long time. That base is so important. As counter intuitive as it may sound, you build it by going easy most of the time.

Fuzzuki
Percy Williams

Postby Fuzzuki » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:06 am

I want to take this time to help fellow runners.
Monday night while running I felt a small pain. Stopped running but continued on my path. Once I felt better, off I went. Just wasn't feeling it. So I stopped running and sprinted until I had to stop. Just to get home.
Later the next day. I felt a pain in my chest. And suddenly felt very bad. It passed in only 30 seconds. So off I went on my busy day. Later that night the pain returned with a vengeance. Denial was my friend, until I started to worry that this may ultimately by my end if I ignore it any longer and go to bed.
Off I went to emerge.
Double Stent later. Recovering fine. Will make a full recovery. Will be back running soon. Better than before.

Fuzzuki
Percy Williams

Postby Fuzzuki » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:09 am

Please. People who have a family history of heart desease.
Get checked by a doctor. This really sucks. If this post prevents one heart attack, this would make me very happy.
See you all soon.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:21 am

That's scary. Glad you listened to the signals and went to the ER. Heal well.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:28 am

Fuzzuki wrote:I want to take this time to help fellow runners.
Monday night while running I felt a small pain. Stopped running but continued on my path. Once I felt better, off I went. Just wasn't feeling it. So I stopped running and sprinted until I had to stop. Just to get home.
Later the next day. I felt a pain in my chest. And suddenly felt very bad. It passed in only 30 seconds. So off I went on my busy day. Later that night the pain returned with a vengeance. Denial was my friend, until I started to worry that this may ultimately by my end if I ignore it any longer and go to bed.
Off I went to emerge.
Double Stent later. Recovering fine. Will make a full recovery. Will be back running soon. Better than before.

Wow very scary, good thing you got it checked out and fixed, and glad you will be ok.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:40 am

Wow! Take care!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Fuzzuki
Percy Williams

Postby Fuzzuki » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Just to let all of you know, I am back and stronger than before.
After stent surgery I went for a stress test to determine what was my target heart rate to train at.
I was found to be in the 120 to 140 beets per minute.
After training and hard work, I went for a second stress test.
Now my target is 135-155 range.
I am very pleased with this result and am now currently training to run in the Good life half marathon.
I feel better running now than before my heart attack, now that my heart is oxygenating my blood much better than before

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:34 am

Glad to hear you are on the path to recovery - thanks for checking in!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:39 am

Wonderful news!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Return to “General Running Discussion”