Marg finishes her quest for sub-2

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Marg
Site Admin

Marg finishes her quest for sub-2

Postby Marg » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:01 pm

OK, I've started and restarted this report a few times. I don't want to make it a long one but there is so much worth sharing... So, grab a beer (or coffee if it's morning) and hunker down ...
End result 1:59:20

All the photos are located at this link but quite a few are part of the report:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =801600397

Pre-Race:
I arrived early on Saturday morning to a beaming KBO, holding a fresh Tim's for me. Winnipeg welcome if I ever saw one.
We picked up Pam and Andy from his hotel and head to the expo to get my race kit and to attend the breakfast. The speakers were Kathrine Switzer and Bart Yasso. They were both excellent. At the breakfast, I met up with Mouse, Nathalie, Dwayne, Jill, Mike, Pam, Neepsgirl (Jo) and I met the famous Mike Booth.

After the breakfast we headed to Karen's and I met Steve aka Bingerunner. We are really deprived of his fabulous humour by virtue of the fact that he lurks more than he posts here. I think putting him, Mike, Dave G and Dwayne together would lead to arrests for sure or a pretty wicked comedy tour. :-)

I am so very thankful to Karen & Steve as my gracious host and hostess for putting me up for the weekend. You guys are the most lovable couple. I miss you tons already. Who's gonna tuck me in tonight??!

After a quick rest, we loaded up and headed to Boston Pizza for the pre-pace ritual. We picked up Freddybeach Pete (Peter) and brought him along. Here are some photos of the good fun we had. In addition to the folks I met listed above, I also met NewFinnLoper, Roadrunner, Garth, Endurox, Crystal, Clocker and Cheryl (what a sight for sore eyes).

Little did I know that Myra would join us as well. You may recall Myra's story from when FB Pete introduced her as the CNIB speed walker who was doing halfs in provinces across the country to raise funds and awareness for CNIB librairies. What a treat speaking to her.

Nat and I spent some time smacking on PEC.

Race day
Ok, I'll try to be quick.
The day previous I had charged my Garmin the full day. At night when preparing for sleep I laid it out with my race gear, shoes, the usual kit. Woke up in the morning to see that the sucker searched for a satellite signal all night and was dead as a door nail come sunrise. I desperately plugged it in but knowing how much time we had before leaving it barely reached 20% of power.

Plan B
Strap on the pace band and the timex. I've never raced this way but brought a pace band as a back up that I would wear with the garmin.

Soooo, pace band is in km. Marg would learn about 2 MILES into the race that it is marked in MILES. A very panicked realization came alive in that I am not used to pacing without a garmin and I knew every km would be a challenge to calculate but now with a km pace band, mile markers and my inability to do math at the best of times, some serious worry set it. All I could do is say "carpe diem and giver". And so I did. They did have markers at the 5, 10, 15 and 20km marks to those were my only points of reference. I didn't chance hitting splits on the watch since I had no idea if I would screw that up too and end up resetting the watch at the rate I was going.

33 minutes in, the 1:55 bunny passed me. My heart sank. I realized I went out way too fast. I seeded myself aggressively so buuny had to be making up time since my 5km wasn't that far off. I was confused... Lol.

I tried to stay with him for a while and just wanted to ensure that no 2hr bunny came near me. I wouldn't look back but I just kept going.
I saw Garth twice in the crowd (before he started his relay) and it gave me a huge lift since I didn't expect to see a familiar soul out there.

I wore a water belt this time to keep my eload with me. This is my preferred fuel and it kept me going through almost the full race. I took one gel I would guess around 17km and stopped at one water station to douse it down. The weather was perfect. There was no need to really hydrate or soak myself to cool off at all. We couldn't ask for better racing weather. The breeze was cool but not too strong. I ran non stop without pausing at water stations until close to 17km. It felt good so I wasn't going to mess with it.

As I'm coming down the stretch of Bishop Grandin, I see Summerland (a landmark apt bldg) and I know I'm almost there. Final 2km is my guess.
In the last stretch up University Crescent, I can see the stadium out of the corner of my eye. I have no clue if I am on target or off. I try to dial it up a bit and am reeling in people - a first for me as I am usually fading. I tell myself they are zombies and I am not (thanks Dave). But at this point, I realize I may be running out of time to hit the goal. Throughout the race I kept telling myself to THINK (thanks Robbie). In the lead up to the entrance of the stadium I see Jill, I yell out her name since I know she won't recognize me (no RM gear on) and she sees me. I yell to her... Telling her to yell at me and make me go hard. She yells and I enter the stadium. 600m of soft track. It's like a gift to the feet that just pounded over 20km of flat concrete.

You feel like a star, the stands are full of spectators. The guy on the microphone says the 2 hour is coming. Dude besides me says, "we gonna make it" and I said hell ya without turning to him. I pull out any last pump my legs have left when I see the time ticking and vow I won't let it pass me this time. I cross the line and see 2:00:49 on the clock. I am pretty sure I have some seconds to spare but did I make it? I press the timex and heave. First time I heave in a half and I know now that I left it all out there. As I bend over I look at the timex and it has a 1:59. I am uncertain now as to when I hit it to stop and I doubt myself. A volunteer comes over to see if I am ok, which I am. I move out towards recovery, get my medal and being to stew. I am excited and elated but nervous. I call Lisa and squeal to her on the phone and tell her I think I did it.

I get changed and then meet up with maniacs in the stands, Colleen also stops by to collect her son who ran the relay, and hang out with Pam, who had a kicka$$ PB, and Nat and then Ian joins us, who also had a kicka$$ PB. Lots of celebrating going on!

Finally when the official results are being posted I see my result. Wow. Mission accomplished. I pulled this half out of my a$$ totally because it was done on feel, I had no clue what I was doing, but it worked.

We waited for the marathon finishers and watched Mouse hang their medals on their necks.

We all gathered in the infield of the track and toasted the day. It was fantastic and everyone worked hard out there.

Now to go home, shower and relax before the celebratory BBQ.

It was great to have another round of visits, hugs, great stories and laughs. I am not sure if Nat will ever doubt a photo of Steve's butt is really him and I don't think I could have felt more joy to be home, with awesome maniacs like the Peg has.

So then the story turns... (kudos if you're not sleeping yet)...
My flight was scheduled to leave at 8:45pm. As I check the web, it keeps showing it to depart on time. Further consultation begins to reveal delays. Eep. First to 9:15, then 9:45, and so it continues. Andy is on the 7am. I start calling AC to get on that flight. Karen and I take turns being on hold for over and hour. I know there is no way I'll get onto Andy's flight. Planes are cancelled into Toronto and I'm getting worried. Finally it shows an arrival of 12:45am. I checked departures from Ottawa (the planes goes back and forth) and it shows it departed so we are hopeful and we head out to the airport. I know full well this will mean I'll get home around 4:30am but my other option is 3:45 in the afternoon (if I get on that flight). Can't get home that late (7pm).

I convince Karen to leave me there and in a worst case, I'll walk across the street to the hotel. I wait in the departure lounge, lying on a bench only to see the arrival now change to 1:30am. My heart sinks. I know this isn't looking good. I am a zombie but wait for news. Moments later we are told the flight is cancelled.

I leave the departure area and the people at the AC desk won't help us citing they don't have the info to be able to rebook us. We get the 1-800 numbers for hotels and AC reservations. I book it across the street and get the second to last room in the hotel.. chaching.
Wake up as soon as I can and back at the airport by 7am. Wait, wait, wait some more and am booked as standby for the 3:45.
I walk down to West Jet. Karen and I are corresponding via email and she tells me they have a 10am flight with space, direct to Ottawa. The price hurts though. I stand in line and am told there are 10 spots left. That buys me a few minutes to decide what to do. I have some breakfast, break out the visa and get the ticket. Chaching. :-(
I get on board and arrive just after 1pm. When I get off the plane, I tell myself it was worth every penny to not have to stress over how and when I will get home. I let Karen know I've arrived as well as family and home I go.

It was a spectacular weekend with a tiny bad twist at the end. I would do it all over again tomorrow though.

Marg out...
Last edited by Marg on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Great report Marg. Lol, Karen and Steve took care of you as well! They are great, aren't they? Did the light outside the window keep you up? :wink:

Sorry to hear about the flight misfortune , not fun.

Glad you had a great time!

EDIT: this is mcshame
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

5K Endurance D.D.O. 33:08 Aug.13 2008
PEC team Challenge Leg 3 - Oct.5 2008
Rattle Me Bones 10K 1:06:55 - Oct.26 2008

Double Yellow Headed Amazons http://www.mlaviaries.com

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:34 pm

WOW!!! that no-Garmin trick worked well for you!! :)

welcome to the 1 club. I hope to be back there someday! ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Marg
Great report, I love the picture of you and I. It was nice to finally meet such agreat person as yourself in person. Thanks for the wonderful memories.
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Marg how can you THINK if you don't know your splits!! oh man, I should have told you my story about me leaving my 305 on all night the same as you just did before my London Marathon last year. Good thing I had my back up 205 with me. oh well

Great race Marg, maybe next time when you can actually run with a race strategy you will kill the half. Never mind lets go get a sub 4:15 now in PEC.

Seriously great run!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Great report Marg, I did not know that you had lost your Garmin, should have asked, i could have easily give you mine at the relay point, but perhaps not knowing was your inspiration to try a bit harder.

Good on ya! and nice to see you again!
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 pm

It was an expensive PB and trip to the land of 1: xx:xx, but I agree, it was worth every penny.

You were an amazing house guest. What a great weekend. I loved every minute I spent with you. Steve thinks you're pretty darn cool too.

I hated leaving you at the airport last night. I just had the feeling....glad I could be a little help this morning. I was relieved when you arrived back home safe and sound...though with a little less spare change in your pocket.

Karen

PS: Lorne...we turned the blinds the other way for Marg AND we hid our beepy watches. :wink: She heard all about it! Ha!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm sorry we didn't get to visit with you more Marg. This weekend was absolutely stupid busy.

Congrats on a fantastic Half!

D-Man
Bill Crothers

Postby D-Man » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:51 pm

congrats on the PB Marg!!

Sorry I couldn't meet u... i was insanely busy this weekend.

Tred Miller
Bruce Kidd

Postby Tred Miller » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:01 pm

Congrats on going sub-2. I know you were disappointed not getting it at NCM last month but persistence and hard work has paid off. Thanks for sharing all those photos.
Live to Run; Run to Live.

BingeRunner
Johnny Miles

Postby BingeRunner » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Come back. I miss you...... :)

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Huge congrats on the race!!! At least you weren't beaten up by the hills on the course :-)

I had an absolute blast hanging out with you over the weekend, looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Dwayne
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:03 am

:shock: eeeks ... at least you should get a refund on the ticket, correct ??? :pray::pray: :evil: :evil:

And, yeah, should've seen that grin on Marg's face, from ear-to-ear, when I saw her after my marathon ... :lol: :lol:

Congratulations, again, on smackin' that monkey off your shoulder and breaking that 2 hour barrier ... :clap::clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:13 am

Can't believe Andy's talking about smackin' a monkey in a public forum!

I am so-o happy for you Marg! You did the work, you believed in yourself, and YOU DID IT!!!!! YAY!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:15 am

Simply awesome :D :D ....Good job in smacking down that 2hr barrier!! :clap:
Now go smack Air Canada and get some money back! :twisted:
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:28 am

Congratulations, Marg - I'm so happy for you!!!!! Great race - all your hard work has paid off!!!

Looks like it was quite a trip - those Manitoba maniacs are something else! Glad you had a great time, and made it back to Ottawa eventually!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:37 am

What a wonderful joyful race report (except for the visa going chaching :wink: ).
I'm so glad you met your goal...you've been chasing that one :D
Glad to know that Karen and Steve took such good care of a special Maniac.
Way to go Marg :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:49 am

So very, very happy for you! Amazing that you did it without the Garmin and with a course marked in miles instead of kilometers! Guess you didn't need those tools after all!

Sorry about your run in with AC. We almost always fly with WJ to Winnipeg, but we're flying AC this summer because we were able to get it on points. I'm really hoping we won't have a similar experience!
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:22 am

Spectacular report.

You worked hard for this one - we all know. But the best is you never gave up and you earned every second, every friggin' second. Way to go girl. Keep smiling - $ comes and goes, but this feeling last forever.

Congratulations.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:25 am

Well done, Marg. Congratulations.

So, I guess sub-1:50 is next on your list. :wink:

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:40 am

well done

a great race and an entertaining report, i can just feel the enthusiasm

inspiring
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:41 am

Congratulations Marg. Way to make that fast start work for you!!
Hola!

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:52 am

Ahhhh you Did it Marg!
I remember reading at one point that you would be mad if you didn't make it,
Anyway, you went into the race with the right goal in mind.
And you did it Marg!

Bravo! So happy for you!
And wow lots of pics!!!!! Nice!
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:55 am

Congrats on making your sub-2hr goal. Great report too!
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:59 am

Great job Marg! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Return to “Run/Race Reports”